Reviewed by Heather C
Title: A Touch of Midnight
Author: Lara Adrian
Series: Midnight Breed #0.5
Genre: MF Paranormal Romance
Length: 182 Pages
Publisher: Lara Adrian, LLC
Release Date: December 14, 2013
Available at: Lara Adrian, LLC, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords and iBooks
Add it to your shelf: Goodreads
Blurb: Savannah Dupree is halfway across the country from her Louisiana bayou hometown, a freshman studying at Boston University on a full scholarship. But academic excellence is only one of Savannah’s gifts. She possesses something even more remarkable than her quick mind and insatiable curiosity for learning. With a simple touch, Savannah can see an object’s past—a skill that puts her life in danger, when her studies bring her into contact with a centuries-old English sword and the secret hidden within the blade’s history: the vicious murders of twin boys by a group of fanged creatures borne of the worst kind of nightmare.
In all his three hundred years of living as one of the Breed, vampire warrior Gideon never dreamed he’d see the blade again that spilled his young brothers’ lives ages ago on that blood-soaked night in London. Ever since the boys’ deaths, Gideon’s been on a personal quest to rid the world of Rogue vampires, but now he can’t help wondering if the brutal slayings of his only kin was something more sinister—an act perpetrated by an unknown enemy. An enemy who is apparently living in hiding somewhere in Boston. There’s one certain way to prove Gideon’s suspicion, but it will mean using innocent, gifted Savannah to help uncover the full truth—a truth that will shatter everything she knows about herself and the world around her. And with danger closing in from all sides, the passion that ignites between Gideon and Savannah will tempt them to risk their hearts and lives for a love that might just last an eternity…
This novella, a prequel to the Midnight Breed series, was previously published in its entirety in The Midnight Breed Series Companion (May 2013).
I’ve always wanted to know Gideon and Savannah’s story, but I never expected to get it since they were already a couple at the start of the Midnight Breeds series. When I heard about this story coming out, I was so excited! But life was too busy at that time and somehow I forgot about it…until now.
If you’re familiar with the series, then you already know who Gideon and Savannah are, and I’m not going to rehash the plot since its already detailed out in the blurb. I’m just going to go right into what I liked and what I didn’t.
Things I Liked:
- Finally knowing how Gideon and Savannah fell in love.
- Gideon was WAY more bad-ass than I ever expected him to be.
- Getting to see some of the original Breed and Breedmates, some of whom are no longer around anymore.
- Gideon and Savannah were HOT together! Even though there wasn’t really any sexual tension, I was still into them.
- I never realized the sacrifice that Gideon made for Savannah. Of course, I don’t remember Gideon’s brain injury either. Maybe I’ve just forgotten a lot of stuff over the span of 11 novels and many years.
Things I Didn’t Like:
- Where were the accents? Gideon is from England and Savannah is from south central Louisiana, yet neither of them had any sort of accent.
- Savannah was a little TSTL. Seriously, her roommate was just murdered by some unknown killer, then she just lets a strange man (Gideon) she doesn’t even know into her home at night because he likes art and is interested in her.
- It was too short. I find that a lot with these m/f novellas that are stuck before or between 500 page novels.
In the end, I still recommend this because its worth finally knowing how Gideon and Savannah met. Just know its not required reading to enjoy the rest of the series.
Overall Impression: It Was Good
*I purchased my own, personal copy of this book for review.*