Reviewed by Heather C
Title: Sky in the Deep
Author: Adrienne Young
Genre: MF Fantasy
Length: 352 pages
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Release Date: April 24, 2018
Available at: Amazon
Add it to your shelf: Goodreads
Blurb: OND ELDR. BREATHE FIRE.
Could Sky in the Deep be the best book I’ve read in 2018? I read this book way back in April, yes, I know it’s already September and I’m just now getting around to writing my review. And YES, Sky in the Deep is STILL the best book I’ve read so far this year. Why am I just now writing my review? Sometimes words are just impossible to express how amazing something is!
First of all, don’t read the blurb! Sorry if you’ve already read it, but it’s too spoiler-y in my opinion and I loved how I really didn’t know what I was getting into with this book. Go in BLIND, I totally recommend it!
Second, in case you haven’t read the blurb, I will give you hint of a few things to expect:
- I’ve seen this book listed as a Fantasy, but it really isn’t a Fantasy in my definition: there are no supernatural powers at work here. The only fantastical aspect of this story is the importance of the gods/faith/beliefs of the different clans.
- Eelyn is a badass heroine…even when she’s at her weakest. She does suffer through some very brutal things that can be difficult to read. Just a warning.
- The book is violent! Duh, it’s Vikings!
- The story is VERY character driven, but also has plenty of well plotted fight scenes that I didn’t get bored with like I often do in other books. I really CARED about so many of the characters and worried that anyone of them could be killed at any time.
- The romance was BEAUTIFUL. It’s very slow burn, some people might even call it “boring”, but it hit all the right buttons for me.
Finally, there is no cliffhanger! Yay! I only love cliffhangers when the next book is already, immediately available to me. Although it does appear there will be a companion novel released next year…??
Overall Impression: It Was Amazing
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for a fair and honest review.*